View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 06:30 PM   #47
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Absolutely! I certainly try to plan routes using military CGs, especially if I am enroute from one "area" to another....e.g. Fl to TX.

I spent several weeks at Patrick AFB this past summer while waiting for the Shuttle launch. They are not all in the 9-10 dollar range. We paid $23/night at Navy Seal Beach. A real bargin, I might add ...great place, and the ONLY GAME IN TOWN if you "must" be in the LA area for family or other compelling reasons. Perfect place for an RV during a Disney Land trip.

Davis-Monthan AFB (Tucson) is chock-full all winter. I haven't stayed there because of their "no reservations" policy and have to wait in THEIR dry camping area for many days? week? more? to get in. I would use it if I could wait elsewhere nearby, but we don't like to "dry camp", especially in such a "dry" area...no generator.

In general, military CGs are clean, modern, safe and convenient..plus usually much less expensive than "commercial" ones.

I have used COE campgrounds only once, but that was a very good experience. Near Augusta, GA. Lake Thurmond, as I recall. There is one in KS I will try this Spring...no other place nearby that look good in the TL Directory.

Bottom line..it isn't a matter of "frugal". It is a matter of convenience and good facilities. Less expensive is sometimes a result, but not the main reason.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote