View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 07:03 PM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Not sure if you have to go to California on your route to Washington but I myself try to avoid going into California with our Montana or our cars. You might get the idea that I don’t like California and you would be correct. I travel from Eastern Washington to Phoenix/ Goodyear now twice a year. I go up the 60 to Wickienburg and on to Kingman. I don’t go up to Flagstaff on the 17 as it is higher elevation and a lot longer although it is freeway driving. The route I described is used by trucks, cars and RVs. Once I reach Kingman I drive to Vegas and then North towards Saltlake City. Just North of Vegas I turn off and take Highway-93 the Great Basin Highway towards Ely. You can take the alternative route Highway 318 and a very short stretch of Highway 6 and avoid Caliente and save an hour drive time. From Ely continue North to Wells which is where you cross I-80 and then on to Jackpot and into Twinfalls Idaho. At that point you get on I-84 heading towards Portland. Depending on where at in Washington you are going will determine when you exit I-84. The drive through Nevada is lots of long straight two lane highway. It is a scenic drive (in my opinion) but completely different scenery than going up the 101. One of my friends used to do almost the same route but he took the North South route on the West side of Area 51 as they winter in Yuma.
Good luck and safe driving.
Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty