View Single Post
Old 05-11-2023, 05:35 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
There are two distinct portions of this route. South of San Francisco and then north of it. South of San Francisco, Hwy-101 is not a problem with a RV. Hwy-1 is not a good choice and since it is currently closed to landslides, not an option to consider (but it is a beautiful drive in a car).

North of San Francisco, Hwy-101 all the way to WA is fine with a RV. There is a Hwy-1 route from just outside San Francisco (Manzanita) that runs along the CA coast up to Leggett where it ends and joins Hwy-101. I have driven portions of it around Bodega Bay and further north with the RV. It is a two lane, twisty road with a number of corners where you can check the RVs tire pressure as you come around (i.e. tight). It is right on the coast and very scenic.

Avoid going through San Francisco. It can be done with a RV but you will be in heavy city traffic. Definitely a challenge. Take a route through the East Bay (San Jose, Fremont, Oakland, Richmond, and San Rafael) on Hwy-880/Hwy-580 and avoid the white knuckle of downtown San Francisco.

Staying on I-5 all the way from southern CA to the San Francisco area is an option. I personally dislike I-5 and will do pretty much anything to avoid it, particularly south of Sacramento.

Be sure to check road conditions on Hwy-101 in northern CA and OR. It is not uncommon for road construction and slide repairs being worked on. Hwy-101 is my favorite route towing to OR and WA.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote