Thread: Ford F 350
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
I am an owner of a 2003 F250 4x4 SDW, Extra Cab with 7.3 L Diesel, LB, 3.73 Rear end ratio pulling a late 2006 3400RL. I am quite happy with the combination and if were to upgrade it or buy a new one it would be a F350 SRW with the same engine/rear end ratio but with a Crew Cab. This would solve two issues that we run into with the current model. Would like more pin weight carrying capability (currently using Firestone airbags) and the extra leg room in the back seat for adults. But Ford has had so many problems with the 6.0L Diesel Engine that I won't ever own one. My understanding is the 6.4L Diesel engine is better but still not up the the level of reliability of the older 7.3L Diesel engine I currently have. I mentioned the possibility of trading my current F250 in on a new 2008 F350 recently to my local Ford dealer Service adviser. His response was unequivocal. "Stay with what you have. You will have less trouble." So I'm keeping what I have based a bit on that advise but for several other reasons.

So if you are looking at a unit with either a 6.0 or 6.4 L diesel engine, be extra carefull and make sure it is still under warranty before giving it any consideration at all. Also I would highly recommend studying and understanding how the 4.88 rear end ratio would impact MPG for whatever your overall driving and towing habits will be.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote