View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I found the article interesting and mostly a good representation of the challenges work-campers face. I think the only comment made that I question is right at 2:00 minutes in the video where he makes the comment.

"Tens of thousands of retirement age Americans are migrant laborers or work campers driven by economic necessity and wander lust."

Full time RVing and Work Camping is still a lifestyle choice. Our country is filled with people working in contract positions that have specific end-dates. Some choose to live in rental apartments, some choose to live in an RV. The company I work for has many, many contractor employees, and I know of some of them that are currently "living" in an RV. There are also many of these same contractors that are living in rental houses. All of them have a specific "end date" to their contract.

The difference between the people I work with and the people presented in this article is simply, the length of stay, or the length of the "contract". But, the shorter the working contract, the more mobile the worker needs to be. So, really, RV-living is a good alternative.

I have a hard time agreeing with his comment "economic necessity." We all "work" out of necessity. The difference is how we all do it.

But, beyond that one comment, I think the article is well done. It does present the many struggles that LIVING life on the road, opposed to taking a "vacation" on the road.

Beginning April, my wife and I are venturing into work camping. The only difference is, we are both employed by two different companies, but we both are in IT (Information Technology). Because of Covid, we have been working from home for the last 12 months. We're taking our "gig" on the road beginning April and will work from the camper where ever we land. Have internet ... will travel.

If (or when) our companies requires us to return back into the physical buildings, we'll return home.

Necessity? yes. We need the job. Living in the RV? Not necessary. We're doing it because we WANT to.

Well,.... someone had to get the conversation going. What's your thoughts. It's OK if you disagree with me.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote