View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #11
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
While it is a great Satellite, roof top mounted satellites are problematic, let me explain. We had Class A's for many years all had rooftop satellites, however we found that maybe 20% of the campsites we found had a clear view to the satellites. Now we are in the NW but for the most part the west coast (non Desert) campgrounds have trees. The issue is with a roof mounted Satellite you have no choice to place the satellite where you can get the best view if at all, it is not like you can move your RV around to find that clear satellite view.

Even though we had rooftop on our Class A we also bought a portable and ended up using it the other 80% with a 50' RG6 I could usually find a clear view of at least 1-2 satellites. So when we purchased our new 2019 Monty we are staying 100% portable, why waste the $$$ when rooftop is so limiting.

Here is the other reason we decided not to do roof top. The newer Monty's are 13'5" (top of AC) most of the higher end satellites dishes when mounted would sit slightly higher than the AC putting me above 13'6" which is potentially problematic for some bridges and underpasses. on the older Monty's and Class A's the roof's are mush lower and this is a non issue, but with the increase of height of the 5ers these days could also be problematic
Our experiences have been completely 180. Dish is not the high point on the roof, 99% of the time I have no issue with obstructions (excluding my current long term location).
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote