View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fordzilla

Once you jump the fence to the other side it will be very hard to jump back. My last Ford had a Tri-Power set up from Western Diesel and it would all out haul butt. I am still thinking about doing it to the new 6.0, but can't decide if it's worth it again. I had no problems with the old chipped truck, and if I could keep my foot out of it I could get at least 1-2 mpg better with it. But boy was it fun to drive without the trailer hooked up.
I don't know about the Fords or Dodges but with the Duramax there is not need to go over the fence in the first place and so therefore no need to jump back. My D/A has all the "b***s" I need and with the price of fuel that 1-2 mpg lose is significant in a full timing lifestyle. I've had my '05 GMC just over 3 months and already I have 10,000 miles on it. That averages out to 40,000+ miles a year. Add the extra cost of fuel to the unnecessary extra cost of the chip and I don't see how a few extra b***s can be justified. It just makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE to throw good money at a perfectly good truck for an unnecessary "toy" that lessens fuel mileage AND could possibly VOID a 100,000 mile warranty. Other than a few Xtra b***s, where is the logic??
And don't be lulled into that "it won't effect your warranty" crap. If for any reason the truck manufacturer, be it GM, Ford or Chrysler, decides the chip or reprogramming was the contributing factor to the engine or transmission failure it becomes your soul responsibility to prove them wrong. Remember, they are the manufacturer and therefore they are considered the experts. So guess what...In order for you to prove their experts wrong it would take a lawyer, engineers and a whole lot of your time to file a law suit. Now that really adds to the COST factor and after it's all said and done you will probably lose the law suit anyway.
And one other thing...puting everything back the way it was won't work either. The computers in these trucks will show that some modification has been made, even though you had time to change it back. AND..What happens when you don't have time?? When you are dragging your Monty down the road with the family and pets on board and the trucks engine quits? You call for roadside assistance. They send a small tow truck and haul your truck to the local GM, Ford or Dodge dealer while you and the family and pets go in with the bigger tow truck hauling your Monty to the closest campground. Oh darn, with all the excitement you forgot to pull the chip or reprogram. Think the dealership's diagnostic equipment will miss the modification? I doubt it.
Now as Dave put it...The reason you have to return the factory program is that the diagnostic tools used in the shop expect to see the factory program. If it is not there, they over write back to original. Then, the next time you try to use your programmer, it is out of sequence and can't be used again. OOPS! More money wasted.

Once again I say....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!"
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote