View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oh my Dave, I do feel your pain.

In the last 4 years I have had one iMac crash, and one PC crash. So yes, it happens, and it is surly frustrating to say the least. Having spent a good deal of my life since 1980 with computers, and working in IT Security at NASA JSC there are some things that I now take for granted. Use eternal hard drives for data. Back up important data to DVD/cd. Keep an eye out for evolving technology that removes some of the older technology from the older computers. Example; floppy drives. I have 5-1/4 and 3-1/2 inch floppy drives that I can plug into the USB port - and they work. Those are just in case I run into any pigeon holed floppies that I need data or information off of.

Just how far one goes on preserving data is up to an individual choice. For programs, every one that I download as a zip, exe, dmg (mac) I put on a CD/DVD media. I make backups of all purchased media. It is easy to replace programs, but data can some times be lost forever if proper steps are not taken.

Now, for your situation. I'm really surprised that the computer did not come with an OEM shrink-wrapped disk. The one that we normally put somewhere for safe keeping and it is safe "forever." I carry mine in my computer case. Also, with Toshiba, the first time you operate it it should ask you if you want to run a program to create a "Recovery Disk Set." It usually takes about 6 DVD/CD's to create this set. With it you can recover any hard disk drive you put into your system by running the recovery software. I have done this with my 3rd Toshiba, and should something happen to it I would buy another Toshiba. The only difference is that I would purchase it from Best Buy, only because of their extended service plans.

Do not despair, YET, with the hard drive that crashed. If you have not done anything like deleting files or reformatting, you data is still there. Typically when a Windows system crashes like that it is only one of the system programs, or just one section of a track that fails on boot up. What you can do:

Buy an inexpensive "enclosure" for your hard drive. They are typically under $40, some higher and some a lot cheaper. You would install your defunct hard drive into the enclosure and plug it into the appropriate slot on your new running computer. Most likely you will be using the USB port. It will act like any other USB device and you can copy and paste all of your data files. You will not be able to copy your program files, unless they are a stand alone .exe program. Anything that had to be "installed," will have parts in the registry that you will not be able to create without in-depth knowledge of how the registry works, and then it is not very productive.

When my Toshiba crashed, I recovered it using the recovery disks, and downloaded the Windows 7 updates. It never exceeded my 5gb download service.

If you need any help, give a holler.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote