View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
The reverse polarity fuses were not blown. Per mfg directions I pulled positive wire and tested units output (apparently on WFCO there is output with no battery connected). No power at all. Fan did not run on old unit at all on new one it will turn on for a second when you hook positive back up. My guess is either it died some way thermally in the summer heat or the voltage sensor fried but opening up case voids warranty (not that I care at this point).

I pulled the batteries out checked the water and while voltages were low on them due to discharge neither had bad cells that I can tell. I’m going to charge them separately to verify that. I’ll take them to auto parts to verify again but I think this is good opportunity to go with AGMs. From what I have read on here seems like most folks like them?

Has anyone had bad experience with WFCO converters?

I could see where a big trailer like ours might really tax a converter. Especially if the inverter has run the residential fridge while on the move. I plan to leave inverter off in future as we won’t need it most of our trips in state.

I traced the wires out on the unit and there aren’t any shorts.

My plan is to install the 80amp Progressive 9200 series and two AGM batteries. Also plan to install 4 way selector switch (off/battery 1/battery 2/both) which will allow me to keep an eye both batteries and lighten load on converter charging if I choose too.

I may even go for digital 12volt system monitors. Anyone have experience with those (I figure you solar paneled up boondockers might?).

I am considering having a mobile RV service guy double check before I do the change up as a second opinion. I worked in industrial electronics before the oilfield so I do have enough knowledge to be dangerous.... I expect I know more than the average 20 something tech at Camping World for sure (not bragging I just don’t have any faith in them).
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote