View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Need serious help with converter and batteries

Hey folks,

I need some serious help quick. I recently replaced our WFCO 65amp converter as the batteries were not charging and the converter tested bad (per WFCOs testing instructions). In just a few weeks the batteries are not charging again and the new converter is testing bad!!!

I pulled the batteries and they appear to be ok (there is water and they test for similar voltages). Reguardless, I plan to replace them with AGM batteries. Suggestions on best brand of AGM would be appreciated.

I was looking at replacing the 65 amp WFCO with a Progressive Dyanamics 80amp 9200 (with smart wizard control). I have 20amp 110 available via the breaker panel for same. Does that sound like the way to go?

Also I have seen some 12 volt power monitoring panels (with 100amp shunts). Are these worth the investment? Any suggestions along the monitoring line?

I am considering turning off the inverter to the residential fridge as we don't really need it unless we take a long trip (we have 50amp power hookup at home for storage and rarely park overnight without shore power). Does that make sense to reduce load on batteries?

I am also thinking about installing a 4 way battery cutoff switch (like you often see on large boats with dual batteries) to allow the batteries to be separated for testing and to reduce the chance of battery interaction if one of them was to go bad. That type of switch has selections for OFF, either battery alone or both batteries together. Does that sound like a reasonable add?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote