View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Wet bolt failure

While under the rig today to prepare to install ice maker water line, I noticed that the streetside rear spring hanger had a unique twist to the inside part, the rear of the spring captured inside the top of the hanger and the bolt broke in half with the nut attached to the remaining part of the bolt. Inside hole on the hanger is oval shaped now...so the hanger will need to be cut off and a new one welded back. Since I am running load range h tires, there wasn't a lot of tire damage to the inside edge. Figure it must have happened somewhere on interstate 75 here in sw florida as we were arriving at the end of october. I had checked and greased all my wet bolts prior to leaving here in may...and nothing was amiss then. Time to do inspections at least four times a year now. Bolt was broken right where the grease exit hole is. IF I stay with the normal suspension, I will replace wet bolts every three years as five years seems to be a little too long. Those folks that have recently had I.S. with disc brakes installed, what was your out the door costs? Thanks john
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote