View Single Post
Old 01-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Sue,
First; congratulations to your daughter.

Second; Regarding the dual rear wheels and the problem with the valve stems. I don't have a Dodge but on my Ford the stems on the outside wheels are "backward". That is they point toward the inside. The inside wheel stem points out but is hard to get to. A tire shop should have a pressure checker that is designed to get into these hard to reach spots. I have NEVER seen a place where they had to take the wheel off to check the pressure! Did you have your daughter with you? Could be he was trying to impress you and she with his vast knowledge of tiredom! Did they charge you for this process?

As several posters have indicated you can get valve stem extenders. If you do get these I'd suggest the solid type or at least the flexible steel type. They won't be as easily damaged as the rubber type. I use the flexible steel. The steel ones are a bit more expensive but certainly worth the extra security.

Since you do a lot of trailer hauling I'd suggest you even look into getting the automatic tire pressure system. There are several different types and they are not cheap but you tow some expensive animals around --- not to mention the precious human cargo! I can't remember the names of the various products but a Google search would turn them up in a heartbeat. On the Escapees Forum there is are a couple of good threads that discuss in detail the various products and their costs.

Good luck, HamRad.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote