View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
I am installing a 40" in the basement as we speak: here is how I am doing this.

First I ordered the moryde articulating Locking Mount even though many reported it's locking mechanism is not very good and in the locked position it still had considerable wobble/movement which might cause wear on the TV and mount with a lot of road travel. The other issue I have with it, is it is way over priced.

I also considered the Moryde Slide out TV mounts however that moves the TV outside the Basement exposing the TV to full glare which would be impossible for daytime viewing and the outdoor elements. so that was a non starter...

So I returned it and developed a better DIY plan.

I ordered a non articulating (rigid) heavy duty TV mount from Amazon that is designed to hold up to 120lbs (My TV only weighs in at 20lbs so I am way under making this way over built). My Samsung 40" is 38"x 23"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I Cut a piece of 3/4" plywood 42"wide x 26"tall Then wrapped the plywood in black felt like material to match the basement walls.

I then bought 3 large gate hinges and attached the plywood to the forward wall of the basement just 6" inside the basement and installed two locking latches on the opposite end to secure it to the wall while driving.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

Obviously the TV mount and TV is attached to that Plywood. I cut the plywood a little bigger than the TV to allow the latch to be exposed and to attache a small Soundbar below the TV since all the new TV's have terrible audio.

Other notes The TV is positioned so when it is swung out it is still 6" inside the Basement this is to help prevent glare. I also added a Pin that drops down into a hole in the floor and locks the TV into the open position to prevent wind from swinging the TV.

I just put this all together yesterday and will be installing in the next week (weather pending).

This will make for a very rigid and robust mounting system that will store mostly out of the way against the basement wall with no movement and will hold up over the miles of travel.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote