View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Son of JVP
Established Member

M.O.C. #8249
Flipping the bathroom door to open outwards?

Hi all, new guy here (see my post "new guy here" in the "Introduce Yourselves" forum). My folks have a 3585SA, which has the shower in the bathroom and the corridor to the bedroom off to the side instead of up the middle. One thing that my folks don't like is that the bathroom door opens inward, which forces you to squeeze past it in order to close it after stepping into the bathroom. Their motorhome that they used to have had the door opening outwards. That door served a secondary purpose as a privacy door to the bedroom at the rear of the motorhome. When it was in the "open" position, it blocked off access to the bedroom. We're thinking that if we installed the bathroom door on the trailer to open outwards, it would also serve as a bedroom door, rather than using the privacy screen on the track suspended from the ceiling. I was wondering if anyone had done this. It doesn't look like it would be a very difficult modification, except for filling in the routed out areas where the hinges originally were and trying to match that to the finish. I'm wondering if it's possible to pry off all of the wood door jamb pieces without damaging them, and flip them around so that no new holes would have to be drilled? Or, if we can't do that, replace the jamb piece that will have the old hinge holes with a new strip of wood that is stained to match the original finish. Your opinions would be appreciated. I don't know why Montana doesn't install the door to open outwards, it would make more sense. Then they wouldn't have to install that privacy curtain. One door would serve two purposes, which would cut costs and eliminate a little bit of weight by eliminating the curtain.
Andy
Son of JVP is offline   Reply With Quote