View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The lock used on the Montana, and other RV's is the typical desk drawer lock, it just pivots a solid bar latch up or down. No key is needed. I two prong echo fastener folded in half with the points touching, and the end trimmed with scissors to flatten it will open that type of lock and it does not matter what the key number is. And, as stated, a screw driver will pop the pins real quick. Locks are to keep honest people out.

Now, think about your DOOR lock (pull handle). If you do not use the deadbolt, my door key will unlock your door. The dead bolt is keyed separately, even though you use the same key for the dead bolt and the pull handle.

Consider this scenario. I'm out for a few hours and cannot take the pooch with me. The electricity goes out. Another Montana owner, or RV'er walks around my Hanna and sees that I have an exhaust pipe coming out the side so figures I have a generator. He uses his key to open my front compartment and starts my generator. The air conditioner is already turned to on and it starts cooling the Hanna. Am I going to get mad at him. I don't think so. I know some people would, but you know, it's a lot easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission.

I'm not going to change my locks out. But then, I have a 70 pound Husky/Chow waiting on the inside once in a while.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote