View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
I had our yorkie in my truck almost immediately after we got her at 8 or 9 weeks. Took her to Lowes and any store inside my coat other than a food store. Kept her away from other dogs and their waste until she had all of her shots. Will your pup be fully immunized by the time of your trip?

We have our yorkie between us in the front seat...i think you can see the Kurgo carrier in our signature. She doesn't wear a collar due to trachea dangers in small dogs....she wears a harness. Carrier has a buckle that latches to the harness so she cant fly out if I stop suddenly. We got a small bed at Walmart that fits well in the bottom. DW put some soft fabric scrap in for comfort also. She sleeps resting her head on my wrist/hand 98% of the time we travel. We use a fabric crate in back seat floor when in Cracker Barrel, etc. Use remote start and my cell phone alarm to remind me to restart for ac or heat when needed. I am very very very aware of dangers of leaving our precious pup in the truck. Id rather consume diesel than take a chance.

Your new pup will likely sleep a lot while you are moving and if you are there close by. Stop after she wakes up as you would when crate training.

We took our puppie from PA to Chattanooga at about 12 14 weeks. She did just fine. Was a 10-12 hr trip. We usex a harness and leash with no issues. Didn't take long walks at that point yet...just to keep her close.

FYI....the carrier is designed to hang from a headrest to prevent engaging an airbag. There are also straps and a buckle designed to wrap around the seat and buckle. There is no headrest over our center console that folds up to make room. Solution: I wrap the straps around the console, buckle and tighten. Then take a bungie cord...loop on hook on the strap tightly wrapped around the console. ...pull it up and loop thru the hanging strap intended for the headrest and pull it back down and attach the other bungie hook to the first one. Her seat is very secure.

We also took Petstages Durable Sticks...petite size as a chew toy. She seemed to like that when awake.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote