View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Tfthorp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8571
As a firefighter I had the oppurtunity to respond to a TT fire this summer. It was a bunk house so it had two exit doors. The unit was a seasonal site, so it had a wood deck outside with a ref. and all sorts of lights and extension cords powering the ref and different lights. Appeared to have started from an overload on the cord. The fire started right outside the forward door blocking any egress from that door. For most of use that would have meant an emergency exit. As others have said and I agree its not an easy out, but might be your only on, so it might be a good idea to know how it works and what to do when you hit the ground or what you have to do if you are the second person out and have to either land on or go over the person who went before you. For the people involved in the fire I was at they had a second door which they went out. I am not sure if they had working smoke alarms, there were none sounding when I arrived, but by then the they may have cleared.
I have been in the law enforcement,fire fighting and EMS work for 40 years and cannot stress how important it is to prepare, train and keep all safety equipment in working order especially smoke alarms. Don't try and put out a fire get your and your families out the unit can be replaced.

This might have been long but it is a passion of mine. Train as if your life depends on it. It just might some day!!!!!!!
Tfthorp is offline   Reply With Quote