View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Our truck camper weighs over 4000lb w/o bags or spring helpers we'd be all but stuck. For just the Montana I wouldn't install both, just the airbags.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

Hmmmm, gotta think about that. Several months after having the air bags installed one of the inflators went bad and I couldn't inflate or deflate one side bags and it was stuck at about 15 lbs (way too low to prevent sag but at least not below the 7 lb limit). But I reduced the air on the other side so it was even proceeded on my way home and Firestone overnighted two new controls free of charge. While the control stopped working prior to departing from the campground, on the way home the ride home was like it was prior to buying the bags (low and saggy and with shudder) and the package with the two controllers were at home when I arrived. After parking the rig in my driveway and unhitching and putting things away, I went underneath and replaced just the one failing one and I carry the other as a spare. So yes, the air bags do fail, but it's only been once for me. I don't have plans to install any type springhelper as a backup, though but it is an interesting thought.

Note: This happened because I kept the air lines separate. The part that went bad was the inflator for the left side. The left side went kaput but the other side was fine but I had to deflate it to keep it even with the defective side. It is best to inflate each side separately. Plus then there's also the chance there's more weight on one side than the other and you might need to inflate each side differently. I measure the distance to the top of the tires to the fender before and after inflation and periodically during each trip to ensure the aspect of the TV.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote