View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #56
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
When I wrote my post last evening it was sort of tongue in cheek, let me explain.

I called my contact at Dexter asking only one question, just to keep things simple. I suggested he could respond by email which he did. At the moment I won't publish the exact question nor the response.

I followed this up with an email asking two more questions, which were then referred to someone in the engineering department to respond to. It appears they are prepared to make a response but must clear that response with someone superior and he/she was not available. I may or may not get that response on Monday. I am hoping someone will be brave enough to come out of the circle.

In the Dexter manual we all received with our Montana's starting on Page 65 and continuing to page 67 there are 4 "Caution" boxes, not one of those mentions U bolts.

Below the shaded/unshaded section "Suspension Fastener Torgue Values, a new topic begins. This is specific to and says "Worn spring eye bushings, sagging springs, or broken springs should be replaced using the following method.
1) Support the trailer with the wheels just off the ground.

This my friends is what Glen, his associates and my contact have all looked at, quoted and suggest is the reference to the torquing of the U bolts. Read the whole section and see if you can find anything that mentions U bolts other than: 3. Disassemble the U-bolts, nuts and tie plates.

My DW always says to me "why do you always have to question something that you think does not make sense". To that I reply "I do not accept everything that is said or printed as "gospel" and if someone makes a statement, then they must be able to provide me with a logical explanation for that statement or conclusion". I don't think that is asking too much.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote