View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #35
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Richfaa, I disagree that you should not post your questions or encounters in the future. That goes against the "no such thing as a dumb question" philosophy. In my responses I tried not to be harsh with my answers, it's just that when you contact the experts and they are inconsistent, this is where the silliness lies.

A point of this post is to torque these nuts with the rig RAISED from now on to the values stated by others who are passing on what they read or were told from other reliable sources. The second point is that we use this information to the best within our environments that keep us informed, safe and learning. Sure it seems silly sometimes, but we can use whatever adjective that works for us, I prefer cautious or confused.

No one should take offense. When I towed trailers for a living, I found things that the factory should have done, but didn't ALL the time. There was even one manufacturer who mandated that us transporters were no longer allowed to check wheel torque AT the factory as I prepared to tow a trailer away; I got the impression they didn't want us transporters checking their work on a newly put together rig in front of their personnel. Knowing better, I would then tow a few blocks down the road and before getting on the Interstate to start a delivery, would then check the torque and guess what?! The torque was off for many of nuts on the wheels!!! I agree with dsprik, there are plenty of other places where things need a recheck, like u-bolts.

Irlp guy, fortunately I would think our TVs are put together far better than recreational RVs and would therefore not require as much rechecking. Sure things fail, but they are much more rare regarding suspensions. The quality and manufacturing procedures are so much better for passenger vehicles than the RV industry in that area. RVs have the same problems too many times to be regarded as manufactured with the highest quality and much of this is blamed back on owner neglect by the RV industry (huh?). Everyone else pays for insurance and warranties. I just wished we didn't have to use them.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote