Old 06-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Ok spoke to Dexter again this AM. Falling back on my verifying data from my working days we spoke to a different person at Dexter and asked the same question.. Understand now I know nothing about the subject I am just a guy who has a Montana and was seeking information that I was not sure of from folks who should know the answer.

What Glenn said holds.. Go to your Dexter Axle operation maintenance service manual that came with the unit. Go to page 65 paragraph titled...... Suspension Fastener Torque Values. We have the 1/2 inch U bolt and the torque is listed as min 45 max 70. Now look at #1 at the bottom of the page "Support the trailer with the wheels just off the ground"

then.. I asked if we Torque to say 60 lbs On the ground what is the effect on the torque. They did not have the numbers for that except to say it would NOT be correct. How much NOT correct they could not tell me. Perhaps there is a qualified person here who can do those numbers. Any how I asked two, actually three people at Dexter who were qualified to answer the question. Dexter makes the axles and suspension. It stands with me till someone can give me verified data that is is not true.

I am just passing on information that might be of interest to forum members ..That is what we do here.
The process of torquing the bolts with the suspension off the ground and then putting the wheels back on the ground and measuring the torque value shouldn't be that hard.

My guess is that the values are so different that they are covering their a**es from a possible lawsuit. Rich, I doubt you will ever get your question answered.
back in my working days these were the kinds of questions that I had to have answers to. We will be there for the fall rally. Dexter will also be there for seminars and installation and repairs. I will pursue the question They all said it was simple physics.. well physics is not simple to me it was something you did to take a big crap.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote