View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #30
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Duane, we feel your pain regarding that running, running, running furnace. Ours runs and runs, cuts off for maybe 2 minutes max, and then starts the cycle again. Even with a space heater and the fireplace heat, the furnace runs and runs and runs . . .

I think it's a combination of the truly severe conditions in which we're living (more on that at the end), and the fact that we are living in a glorified tin can--a well-made and beautifully glorified one--but still, it's basically a shell. From past experience in living in another brand of 5th-wheeler and suffering through a week or so of 10 - 20 degree weather, I appreciate how much warmer I am in my Montana than in my other rig.

Now, about those severe conditions: Today is April 25th, and we are still getting snow, high winds, and temperatures at night between 0 and 22 degrees. We had one day of milder weather last weekend, and then the blizzards and bitter temps returned. This week we've had rain, snow, more snow, and snow/wind this evening. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and in the mid-50's, but then the cold weather and snow return for most of next week.

I've read lots of suggestions on the MOC forums about how to deal with that everlasting running furnace problem, but most of them are way too technical for us to attempt (heat pump installation, rerouting the ductwork, keeping the fan running constantly, etc.). We'll just keep the propane tank filled. At first, that continuous off/on cycling kept me awake at night. Now, however, I don't even notice it.

Carolyn

I hope my misery has provided you some company in yours!
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote