View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #26
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Found this on line

How can you keep the rv decals from peeling off?

ANSWER: Hi Lana thanks for submitting your question on our Ask An RV Question Page.

Peeling decals on RV's is an all too common problem. Once the decals become brittle and start peeling, there is no reliable way that I am aware of to safely reattach them to your RV. I would advise against using any kind of adhesives or glues to reattach them as those products could damage the gel coat, fiberglass or metal of your RV.

If your RV is under warranty you should be able to get the decals replaced. If the RV is out of warranty then you have the choice of removing all of the peeling decals and replacing them. Please read the answer I gave to Where Can I Get Replacement Decals For My 5th Wheel Trailer?

Vinyl decals on RVs can be damaged by chemicals such as petroleum distillates that are contained in some waxes, by prolonged exposure to the sun's ultra violet rays, excessive scrubbing when cleaning the exterior of the RV, etc.

There are two proven ways of protecting the vinyl decals on an RV. The first is by treating them with a protectant. The one I highly recommend is 303 Aerospace Protectant. Below you can read what the manufacturer says about their product.

"RV, Motorhome and Vehicle Decals
Have you ever had your decals or 'stripes' on your RV or motorhome fade or crack from oxidation? Here is why.

The decal/stripes on RVs are vinyl. As a general rule, one should refrain from using anything containing petroleum distillates or abrasives on vinyl, including Vinyl decals. Unfortunately, most waxes contain petroleum distillates and often abrasives.

303 Aerospace Protectant is the only proven effective treatment that is safe for vinyl.

Therefore if you use wax on your motorhome it would be best to treat the vinyl decals first with 303 Aerospace Protectant. Spray on/wipe off. Then 303 would repel any wax over sprayed or wiped onto the decal. It's quite durable and effective repellency is an added benefit 303 Protectant provides in this application."

Read more: http://www.everything-about-rving.co...#ixzz1rfTyIMtj

I also read on the Outback forum that they have been having decal problems since 2006. I believe Outback is a Keystone product. However, to give the devil its' due, based on the above response it seems to be a recognized problem. I am also guilty of waxing over my decals so shame on me.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote