View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 04:17 AM   #28
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Sorry folks I just took it for granted that everyone knew GM owns Isuzu and Isuzu make the engine GM uses in their pickup trucks.

Ford used the International 7.3 for many years.

Dodge uses the Cummings.

All three are light duty engines.

One note before I go on all of the engines used in the light duty pickups will start when using a 24v starting system without any heat inducing appliance under normal condition. The 12v start doesn’t normally have the power to do this.

The GM Isuzu engine doesn’t need glow plugs to start until the temperature gets down in the 40’s.

GM / Isuzu started using the glow plug when they turbo charged the engine because all diesels inject fuel to cylinders that were not in position to make enough heat to burn the fuel at least 1 on the 6 cylinder engine and 2 on the 8 cylinder. This raw fuel is detrimental to the power turbine over a long period of time. Glow plugs cause this fuel to burn for that purpose. I got this information way back when taking a training class for the maintenance on crane with the Isuzu v8 that is now use in the GM pickups.

The Ford International and the Ford diesel use them for the same reason.

Cummings doesn’t use glow plugs they use a heater grid in the induction system for starting purpose. The statement that Cummings doesn’t use glow plugs is correct but is irrelevant.

The debate as to which system is best has been going on for years. I don’t see any difference they both aid in the start.

Now both systems are mandated by the tier 4 EPA requirements and the late model GM / Isuzu and the Ford will go into limp mode if a single glow plug fails.

The fleet I manage has several heavy duty Cummings diesels and like the cat’s and JD’s they are 24V start and don’t use any heat assist for starting.

I only have one dodge in the fleet and it isn’t used just sits so I don’t do maintenance on it. The new Dodge was totaled in an accident while still in warranty and is not slated for replacement.

It’s good to see GM building the medium duty truck again they have been missed for the last 8 years.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote