View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 06:54 PM   #23
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCamper View Post
Hi folks,

My wife and I just walked through a new Montana 3121rl at our local dealer. The trailer looks fantastic inside and we're very interested in buying it.

But we did find a few things that I'd like an opinion on. The trailer came from a dealership on the southern coast of Texas, and it looks like it had been exposed to the sea air for a while at that dealership.

There were a few minor things like a drawer next to the stove that didn't latch and the large weatherstripping on the basement door on the utility side was mostly detached and just flopping around. These to me are just typical 5th wheel lack of QC and easy enough to fix before we do our PDI.

The three things that stood out as somewhat worisome that I would really appreciate some advice on:

1. There was substantial exterior rust on the pinbox. Not the normal little bit of rust you see on the pin itself, but the whole pinbox was rusty to the point of flaking. I got under the trailer and looked around and saw a little light rust on the frame, but not much elsewhere that looked severe. I did also notice rust at the base of the propane tanks. It gave me the impression of a trailer that was a year or two old.

2. There was also an obvious leak at the base of the toilet.

3. The opening to the water heater was quite rusty and the anode rod had corosion on it. We've seen rust on the openings of water heaters locally, but this a little heavier than normal.

The dealer said they will replace the pinbox and clean up any rust before we take delivery, but I'm wondering if I should be on the lookout for other rust issues before laying down my cash.

Also, is that leak at the base of the toilet cause for concern.

We love the layout of the trailer and we have friends who have bought from that dealer in tha past with good experiences.

I would appreciate the sage advice of the folks here just to make sure this trailer isn't a lemon waiting to be squeezed once we buy it.

Thanks,
Jesse

We have the same model bought 2-15-2018, Pinbox will have rust MFG suggested sanding and hitting with a fresh coat of paint but it will come back so see if you can get it replaced.

We had a lot of rust on the lip of hot water heater where anode goes, when we are not in use Suburban suggested keeping anode screwed in and we replace every year no issues.

Before you sign any papers make arrangements with dealer and make sure it is on your paperwork that it will be corrected before you take delivery otherwise some dealers tell you to come back and you will be screwed.

Learn to fix what you can in your own, Keystone is useless for the warranty so I have been contacting the mfg directly with much better response, that being said we have 14,000 miles in ours with 3 years of use and no major issues but I winterize and do just about everything myself with little effort and it has been good for us so far.

Best of luck to you but DO NOT let dealer tell you they will handle after you sign papers, they won’t none of them do get everything in writing period.

Good Luck
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote