View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #46
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
CadMan KS asked a question earlier about the Class A exam in Kansas. I took it just over a year ago as between my F450 and coach I've a GCWR over 26000 pounds. The exams (written and Driving) were taken at the Manhattan (Riley County) DMV office out on 24 highway. The written exam was basically the same as for the 'normal class C' plus some questions on the trailer (checking lights, tires, etc.).

The examiner informed me upon arriving at the truck and trailer that other than instructions of what steps to do/directions to go, no other conversation between the examiner and I should occur.

The driving test started with me doing a walk around of the truck and trailer, explaining everything that I was checking (oil, radiator, brake fluid, tires, tire pressure (did not actually have to check it-just explain that I did), lights, hitch, etc) Then we went on the driving part, starting the course was getting out of the parking lot (start of test) plus driving highway and neighborhood. The examiner also had me back up about 50 feet in a straight line, then while still backing up, do a 90 degree turn into a parking space (with allowed pulling forward and backing up several times) and parallel parking. Total driving test took about 40 minutes.

When we got back I was asked how my truck and trailer managed to get to the exam station. I informed the examiner that I had driven it after having a discussion with another examiner the day prior when I was researching the requirement for a Class A Non-Commercial license. By then we had gotten inside the office once more and I was told that my query of the day prior had created quite a bit of research because no one had ever done one of these before - not to mention that I had just taken more than 80 percent of the CDL driving test. In any case, quite a morning and I finally walked out / drove away with a Class A Non-Commercial license.

By the way, I checked with several RV dealers in the weeks before and since my taking the test and only one out of six that I've asked has told me that I needed anything other than my normal drivers license (class C).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote