View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 02:20 PM   #46
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
[QUOTE=LERD;1205322]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobStack View Post
One more thought... you never know when you may decide to upgrade to a larger coach.

That was one of the things the DW and I talked about early on. Our dream coach is the 3120RL. It's actually just a bit longer than we want. But the layout for us is perfect. We're used to packing light, and being fine with it. Plastic cups, melamine plates etc. We've had good practice keeping our current rig light as I tow with an ecoboost and keep the RV around 8300-8500 lbs. I'm fairly sure if we get one, our travel weight will be well below the maximum cargo rating. We'll see how it plays out. Thanks for everyone's help
When I was shopping for a TV with the intension of getting a 5er, I really looked at all aspects of gasser vs diesel. I went with diesel because it is superior for towing. Better mpg, much better torque to the wheels, better for mountains/hills running lower rpm’s, as far as I know all 2500-3500 and larger come with engine/ exhaust braking as a standard feature though I know gassers also have this available. Never had an issue with DEF fluid and add it after about 6 or so fuel fill ups. I usually get a warning with 250-300 miles in advance. When leaving on a long trip I’ll throw a couple gallons in the truck bed and never worry I’ll run out. I run a chevy diesel 3500 SWR and 36 gallon tank. My mpg towing a 41’ Monty is 10-12 mpg depending on road and weather conditions. Traveling In Montana and Wyoming in the mountains I averaged 10 mpg towing my 5er. If you decide to get even a slightly bigger RV, you will want a diesel. I never have had an issue finding fuel, especially with just a little advance planning. Download the GAS BUDDY app and you can easily plan gas stops, with cost savings in mind. Good Sam has some good discounts at Flying J and Pilot travel centers. When Sams clubs have diesel, they are usually the cheapest and with some careful maneuvering not a problem getting in and out. If not sure, Google earth and street view will give you a good idea of room to maneuver. I have never had an issue with cover heights. Hope this helps. IMO, diesel is the way to go if towing is in the future. Safe Travels.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote