View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 04:47 AM   #16
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exnavydiver View Post
I think part of the problem is that the RV makers are not taking into account that the truck makers keep raising the height of the trucks thus the rail to rig distance decreases. I had almost 10 inches of clearance on my 06 DuraMax with a short bed. I now have a 15 DuraMax with a long bed and the clearance is less than the height of my fist,(maybe 3.5 to 4 inches. The rigs need to be built about 4 to 6 inches higher. The folks that go for the IS systems usually go for a 4 to 6 inch I-beam spacer between the new system and frame which brings the entire rig up so that on a lever space the rig has at least 8 to 10 inches clearance.. This would also decrease the pin box dings to rails.
When we had the IS installed in June, a 2x3 tube was welded to the frame with a 2x2 welded to that. After a few issues were resolved and having to install heavier shear springs, the height of the camper went up around 5 inches from its stock height. That is not an issue with Montys of that error. They were only around 12 foot 10 or so to start with.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote