View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #28
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Okie View Post
I have a 2017 Montana High Country 305RL I bought new, equipped with the AccuSlide cable actuators. I was having some other problems with the kitchen slide (one side rubbing floor upon retraction and a displaced (rotated) lower right outside cable attachment angle bracket), so I checked this slide and the others to see if I could figure out what was going on. I was surprised to find that the living room/dinette slide and the bedroom slide run on rollers and the heavy kitchen slide ran on a wear bar.

I checked several YouTube videos then contacted AccuSlide, a sub of BAL, which is a sub of Norco, who evidently makes the slide. They replied promptly and recommended some adding rollers they'd specifically engineered for adding to Keystone trailers with the wear bar only slides. They also recommended a specific YouTube video to watch that specified parts needed and showed the guy installing them (you do have to jack up the slide enough to get it off the wear bar). They attributed the slide's rubbing the floor to a cable adjustment problem and gave me detailed instructions for adjusting them (after adding the rollers).

Bottom line, my brother-in-law did most of the work in less than a day, the slide works great, is level and doesn't rub the floor. However, the process wasn't without it's problems.

First, I had to "fix" the outside cable bracket problem which didn't bend but rotated into (bent inward) the side corner of the slide. I did this with some aluminum shims and longer screws, and it seems to be working. It appears to have either had a lot more force applied to it than the other cable attachment points or there is some sort of structural weakness at the attachment point.

The rollers come in both 1/2 and 3/4 inch sizes to match the wear bar height. AccuSlide told me to contact Keystone with my VIN and they could tell me my wear bar height. I did and they promptly said 3/4 inch, which I ordered from the vendor Accuslide recommended (inexpensive). Then I found that the wear bar was visible on both ends from inside the trailer. It was definitely 1/2 inch, so I ordered another set.

When I watched the YouTube video AccuSlide recommended, the guy easily ran the 1/4 x 1 1/4 self tapping screws in (from the side) with his battery powered drill. His trailer was a Keystone, but not a Montana series. We had to use a hammer drill to get the screws to go in. There is definitely a metal band or something around the High Country's floor that you have to drill through. Kinda scary, but evidently no damage done and those screws aren't going anywhere!

The last hassle was that the Accuslide instructions for adjusting the cables required removing the decorative fascia from the front of the slide, since the adjustments have to be done with the slide completely out, leaving no room to work behind the fascia. Of course, the fascia is just power brad nailed on, so it helps to have a power brad nailer to put it back.

I've included a pic of the installed rollers as well as one of the exposed wear bar.
Do you have a link to the video that you watched, info on the parts source?
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote