View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #18
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I'd like to weigh in on the Andersen. I am sure there are others ,but I have towed with both a standard hitch, and the Andersen. Hands down the Andersen is just plain easier, lighter etc. As you say the Andersen could hardly be a show stopper because of the adapter. I can't imagine not having the tools on hand to remove the adapter ,it's not difficult at all .

I have read one report on damage to a pin box, as some know the adapter does centralize the pin weight a lot more in a smaller area ,where as a standard hitch spreads it out more across the pin box . They claimed it deflected ,and put a bend in the plate around the kingpin. What I didn't care for on the adapter is that when the two cross bolts are in ,and the 4 set screws are tightened up, I have 3/16" gap between the adapter ,and pin box. I cut a piece of 3/16 plate 14" x 14" the size of the flat surface on the kingpin area , cut a hole to go around the kingpin, now everything is pretty much flush plus the added surface for the weight of the fifth wheel .

You mentioned overhang on the Andersen ,maybe you could elaborate on that statement . I am assuming you have never towed with or owned an Andersen hitch ??

To sum it up for me ,I will never go back to a standard hitch, there isn't a thing about the Andersen that would make me change back after several years now.
The overhang I was referencing was placing the "puck" in front of the king pin, which I believe that a lot of people do, because they think that it makes them be able to turn sharper, which it may not, but that's another thread.

When it's in front of the kingpin, that essentially moves the lever arm further away, and can put more stress on the connection at the frame.

So, for me, factoring all of that in, I decided to use the stuff that the trailer was "normally" designed for. Just to be clear, I have never used an Anderson, and I based my decision to use a standard hitch on what I thought was the overall better design structure wise for the trailer, and potentially warranty issues. My apologies to anyone that may have thought that my post was a slam on the AUH. It was not meant to be one hitch better than the other, just my personal opinion of how I arrived at my decision for my hitch setup...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote