View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #15
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
I'm not saying that the AUH or the PullRite are bad, but the overhang that both of those hitches use, with the fact that they are not "standard" with the adapters, were one thing that pushed me over into a PullRite 3900. Having had a PullRite slider in our old 5er, there was always that lingering concern about "what if our 5er needs to be pulled by someone else?" While not impossible, they can't just hook on and drive off. You have to take a plate off, and on the AUH and PullRite they are the same way. You have to take something off. I don't believe that to be a show stopper, but that was a deciding factor for me deciding to go with a "standard" fifth wheel hitch.

But, the issue is now the hitch in your truck weighs 100+ pounds (or significantly more), and is harder to take in and out. But, now with a standard fifth wheel hitch, Keystone, Lippert , or my dealer cannot hide behind anything they want to say is out of the ordinary if we have issues.

Everything is a trade off, and YMMV...

I'd like to weigh in on the Andersen. I am sure there are others ,but I have towed with both a standard hitch, and the Andersen. Hands down the Andersen is just plain easier, lighter etc. As you say the Andersen could hardly be a show stopper because of the adapter. I can't imagine not having the tools on hand to remove the adapter ,it's not difficult at all .

I have read one report on damage to a pin box, as some know the adapter does centralize the pin weight a lot more in a smaller area ,where as a standard hitch spreads it out more across the pin box . They claimed it deflected ,and put a bend in the plate around the kingpin. What I didn't care for on the adapter is that when the two cross bolts are in ,and the 4 set screws are tightened up, I have 3/16" gap between the adapter ,and pin box. I cut a piece of 3/16 plate 14" x 14" the size of the flat surface on the kingpin area , cut a hole to go around the kingpin, now everything is pretty much flush plus the added surface for the weight of the fifth wheel .

You mentioned overhang on the Andersen ,maybe you could elaborate on that statement . I am assuming you have never towed with or owned an Andersen hitch ??

To sum it up for me ,I will never go back to a standard hitch, there isn't a thing about the Andersen that would make me change back after several years now.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote