Thread: Fuel Mileage
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 03:31 AM   #43
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Right on, Wordsmith, with this additional observation:

Many of the 'better' MPG figures are possibly based on one fill up (obviously under the best of conditions). Nothing wrong with that. That is often the figure that gets quoted. Another base for these figures, as stated in several posts above, is the onboard computer.

The only real way to compare MPG is over the same route under the same conditions with the same load--not usualy reasonable to do. Next best is to keep an exact log over a long trip (more than a thousand miles) with fillups related to towing miles only (or non towing miles only). And to note the driving speed.

I am pretty satisfied with my figures (It's all in fun, isn't it?), but the best I can seem to get with towing ONLY is just over 12 MPG. I wish I could get 14, I wish I could get 13, but...

And I am towing the smallest of the Montanas with a diesel. I do drive pretty consistently around 65 miles per hour. When I note my spreadsheet following a trip, I find several segments with higher MPG, but then I realize I was doing some driving around after setting up camp.

Anyway, I'm glad for those who get better mileage than I do, and wish I could do better.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote