View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
When my landing gears went bad I received the following info from Venture. I replaced both of my jacks with a dual motor system.

Care of the jack legs:
OILING THE SQUEAKY LEG

The shim washer usually bends when the legs are retracted too far when under weight. The legs may be run all the way up and down if they are on the truck, and it is actually recommended to do that once a month whether or not you are using the trailer, in order to grease the jack screw and keep it from wearing a groove in the spots at which you usually stop and start. (About six to eight inches of normal travel) But, when you are raising and lowering you should only go as far both ways as you absolutely need to for getting the trailer on and off of the truck. As a rule of thumb, in order to prevent damage, never retract the legs where less than three inches is showing of the inner tube from the outer tube. If your manufacturer didn’t already mark this for you, mark it in red at three inches, up from where the drop legs come out. (Feel free to use all seventeen holes of the drop legs as needed.) Use paint, tape, red marker, whatever you can to remind yourself to leave at least three inches of the inner tube showing. This will prevent the bending of the shim washer and breaking or falling out of the drive pin.

Sometimes an older leg would benefit from regreasing. (The grease when maintained usually lasts the lifetime of the leg unless desert conditions get a lot of sand and grit inside.)
Our engineer recommends the following. “As far as lubrication goes... the only good way to do it is to remove the leg from the coach and disassemble it... Use a good EP (extreme pressure) type grease, preferably one with moly (molybdenum disulfide) grade 2”.
If the grease is still looking pretty good it is a good idea to run it slightly above and below your regular pathway so it doesn’t wear a groove and get slow and sluggish. Don’t go beyond the recommended heights or things can break.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote