View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 11:54 PM   #19
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Just for safety information, portable generators do not need to be grounded with a ground rod, and if done, may actually introduce a step potential hazard if there is a fault in the system. This site provides the information: https://www.jadelearning.com/groundi...le-generators/
And this is quoted from this site:

OSHA Grounding Requirements for portable and vehicle-mounted generators state the following:
Under the following conditions, OSHA directs (29 CFR 1926.404(f)(3)(i)) that the frame of a portable generator need not be grounded (connected to earth) and that the frame may serve as the ground (in place of the earth):

The generator supplies only equipment mounted on the generator and/or cord and plug-connected equipment through receptacles mounted on the generator, § 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(A). The noncurrent-carrying metal parts of equipment (such as the fuel tank, the internal combustion engine, and the generator’s housing) are bonded to the generator frame, and the equipment grounding conductor terminals (of the power receptacles that are a part of [mounted on] the generator) are bonded to the generator frame, § 1926.404(f)(3)(i)(B).

In addition to all this technical jargon, it would be unsafe to be driving ground rods in some areas without having all underground facilities located and marked. Driving a ground rod into a gas line or a high voltage line could be deadly, and at least very expensive.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote