View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #24
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIrish7 View Post
Receiving our new Montana HC 281CK in Feb 2021. First time 5th wheel owner.
Should I have these tires changed out before I pick up our new 5th wheel? And drive home?

If so. What are the best tires to get for this 5th wheel?

Appreciate the advice.
Happy Thanksgiving
I agree, your first purchase should be a TPMS system. If you keep your OEM Tires you will want that system to hopefully warn you before a blow out. Get the type that you can fill your tires without having to take your sensors off. F rated tires are probably just fine, but may be near top of your load range. You don’t want LT ( light truck) tires as they have a softer side wall than an ST tire, which you want with a trailer tire. Yes, a G rated tire will definitely give you plenty of capacity and a stiffer ride. I went from an E rated tire to G rated Sailuns. My E rated tires were definitely under rated for my 2018 Monty., and was a year before the industry was forced to upgrade their tire ratings. I had a tire loose the tread and I was really lucky it only did minimal damage I was able to fix myself. I found some cracking on the other tires so I dumped them as soon as I could. Just make sure you watch your tire pressure, and how much weight you add to your rig. All of these ratings are based on EMPTY trailers. You could easily add 1000 lbs or more with all your “stuff” plus how much water you carry (8 lbs. per gallon). Once you are loaded up go to the CAT scales and weigh your Monty fully loaded, then you will have a better idea of how much reserve capacity your tires have. You might then decide to go to a G rated tire. Safe travels!
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote