View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #30
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jamesva

So what happens inside the electricial circuit when plug into 30 amp and run your ac. This is what set up at my house is 30 amp with 10 gauge wires.
If you think of the 30 amps being divided to the two 50 amp circuits in your RV (this is what happens) then you have 30 amps on line #1 and its main breaker and 30 amps on line #2 and its main breaker, however combined you still only have 30 amps, therefore if you are using (ie) 20 amps on the circuit that is wired with the AC then you have only 10 amps remaining on that circuit or the other circuit. You only have 30 amps to work with, that total is combined between both circuits in the RV.

Now if you are running your AC and start your microwave which is most likely on a different circuit, you will exceed the capacity of the breaker supplying the 30 amps to the RV and it will trip. Any total current draw in the RV that exceeds the 30 amp supply breaker will cause it to trip.

Due to line loss your supply to the RV should be as short as possible and heavy enough to carry the 30 amps. I don't think 10 gauge wire is sufficiently heavy and would certainly cause the breaker to trip.

I have a progressive power system in my RV and have a fairly long supply line on my 30 amp line, the power monitor sees a considerable voltage drop when I try to use the AC and it trips the Progressive system. If I turn off the monitoring system I can run my AC but am running it at reduced voltage which in time could cause damage to the AC so I don't run it. If I am just running heaters then I don't worry about damage to them at reduced voltage and usually can run a 750 watt and a 1500 watt heater at the same time, as long as combined they do not exceed 30 amps.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote