View Single Post
Old 11-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I have to agree with Oldguard that you "can" get quality workmanship and produce many units in a day.

You cannot compare the building of an aircraft at the Boeing plant and their employees in any way with those working in the RV industry. Those working at Boeing are all highly trained and there are significant checks and balances to correct any deficiency long before construction is complete.

The fact that an individual makes $30.00 an hr and has significant benefits should have no bearing on an individual's desire to produce quality work. Pride in workmanship is not something you can buy, you may be rewarded for demonstrating that pride, and should be, however there must be sufficient supervision and quality control to recognize it, or lack of it in the first place. Without quality control you are going to have some workers that do not have that pride and they will continue to work on the assembly line unchecked.

We can compare an assembly line at the Montana factory to one say at Windsor Ont or Detroit Mich, with respect to what comes off the line as far as build quality and quality control. The cost of a new Ram 3500 DRW is similar to that of a Montana, unfortunately the final product cannot be compared. This is not to say every worker at the Dodge plant or Ford plant has pride in workmanship, it does however tell you plenty about quality control along the way.

Most RV manufacturers have minimal "Quality Control" and it would appear NONE in a lot of cases. We are paying for a product that is meant to make the owners money and rid themselves of any after sales responsibility as quickly as they possibly can, but we continue to buy our RV's don't we.

One of my first jobs was working in a service station, I made a whopping $0.87 per hr but the work I did was done with pride and supervised when/where needed, when we put fuel in your car or truck we washed the windows and checked the oil and belts "always". My next job at a large department store service station where I was paid considerably more I was told to not wash the windows and not to check the oil as it took too long and kept people waiting. I quit that job after a month because I took pride in giving service.

Later in life when I operated my own equipment rental business I continued that pride in service while providing the best maintained equipment in the area. You either have it or you don't and what you get paid should have nothing to do with it.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote