View Single Post
Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 AM   #19
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akf15e

Also, based on Carl's suggestion above, I was able to disconnect the + wire for the manual switches and bypass the control module and confirm that all rocker switches now work. However, seeing as my electrical know-how is slim at best, I am not sure where to permanently connect the + wire. I know I don't want to connect directly to the battery, but I'm not sure where is best. Right now it is connected to the same side of the auto-reset 40A breaker where the power wire for the entire remote module comes from. It seems to a laymen that connecting a 12 ga wire to the same spot a much heavier gauge wire comes from tells me more current is coming through that breaker than I should be carrying with 12 ga wire. So does that heavy gauge wire carry more current into the module and then step it down before sending it out to the manual switches, slides, awning , etc? Or am I way off here? I have added to pics, one showing the power wire going into the module at top left, the other picture showing the module power wire coming from the auto reset breaker along with the green wire which is now the + wire for the manual switches. Is this OK? Thanks!

Assuming your remote is working properly with the original heavier wire to the power side of the module, I would remove the green wire you have added to the manual switches and see if you have 12V at the + side of the manual switches, if there is power then I would be suspicious of the ground wire there. There should be power to the manual switches at all times internally through the module from the power side connection on the module, if there isn't then there is some problem in the module, or perhaps with ground.

If you remove the green wire and have no power at the manual switches I would make a small jumper and connect between the + on the "power" connection to the + on the "manual" switch side. I would also check where both connections go to ground and if the "manual" switch does not have a wire to ground I would add one to the same ground point as the "power" side. More often than not it is a ground problem.

I have absolutely no concerns about being able to use the manual and remote at the same time, I am the only one who uses those controls and in my tests they don't work at the same time anyway. However in your current configuration they will work at the same time.

If everything is working with your current configuration, then I would leave it as is until you complete your trip or arrive at your destination and then do further checks. The green wire is capable of handling the current you would be using to the manual switches.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote