View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #17
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
New Hampshire also requires inspection on 2500lbs or over with electric brakes. I'm due again for inspection.

I normally take it to my local service station. But they charge RV rate of $75 like it's a motor home. A car or truck is $35/yr.
There are no ball joints to check.

Normally they take a floor jack and check only a wheel. Check lights and turn signals and that is it.

The local RV dealer is approx the same price. But they claim 79 point inspection. Right? Lets add up all the light bulbs say 22. 4 tires, 4 springs and 2 axles 8 bearings, 8 brake shoes, 4 magnet brake actuators, 4 drums, and 32 lug nuts not counting spring shackles and bolts. So they are close on the number of points on their inspection.

However in comparison to a motor home or car there are a lot of other items that are not required to be tested so I still bock at the price everytime.

My wife is adamant about getting this done. I can see her point expecially in this world we live in now.

Basically if the law enforcement and insurance companies checked paperwork after an accident and the inspection was not completed.

There would be neglegence and more liability upon my shoulders. If there were injuries you can be sure, the other parties lawyers would be looking, with a fine tooth comb, to find fault.

Its just like a having towing insurance. You hope you never need it ,but, you are glad to have it when the unfortunate comes along.

I don't want to see that day in court.

So it is a small price to pay and for her comfort level alone it is worth it to get it done.

If they would find anything wrong then I would take the opportunity to fix it myself and go for the reinspection for an additional $15.

They cut the corners off normal car sticker and staple it to your registration rather than affix it to your camper/trailer.