View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #1
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Who buys a Montana - What is the MOC

So who exactly buys a Montana:

I suspect we are the same people who buy any other brand of RV, we do research, we listen to the sales representatives and more than likely we look at what it is we want in interior design, floor plan, storage and whatever it is that draws us to one make/model over another. I believe Keystone has in the recent past been the leader in floor design and convenience features. That may or may not be the case anymore but their sales indicate they are either the leader or among the leaders based on basic price of comparative RV’s.

So we buy it because we like what we “see” and what we think meets our needs and will give us long term livability and purported after sales support. One portion of this equation of course is based on the sales pitch we are given. Do we really consider after sales support as a factor, either from our dealer and manufacturer, or do we tend to listen once again to the sales pitches and what we are told in those pitches, most likely the latter. For the most part we are the most gullible consumers there are, particularly if we are purchasing our first 5th wheeler and happen to be first time owners.

We buy because we like that which has been presented to us visually, what has been represented to us by the sales people and what we consider will meet our needs at a price we are willing to pay. This may or may not be accurate with every Montana or SOB owner but might be close.

So now: What is the MOC:

Of course everyone who is a member knows it is a group of members who share a common thing: That being they own or have owned or plan on buying a Montana. But really what else does the MOC represent. Lets consider some things:

It allows owners the opportunity to connect with other owners of the same brand of RV, thereby offering the opportunity to meet/discuss with owners various aspects of same or similar units.

It certainly offers a huge knowledge base gleaned from years of not only Montana ownership but years of RV experience by a large number of its members.

It offers the opportunity to discuss problems and issues related to the various Montana models and how those problems were solved and overcome.

It offers the opportunity for those who have made modifications to share those interesting and innovative modifications with other members.

It offers the opportunity for owners to meet in fairly large groups to get to know one another, make friends and share their experiences.

I could go on with this but you all know more than I what it is the MOC represents.

Now let me present what I feel the MOC does “NOT” represent (my opinion only):

As a fraternity of owners of a particular model/brand specific RV I do not see the MOC using it’s sizable membership clout to champion for the good of all members and owners of the Montana brand as a whole.
I feel the large membership of the MOC could have a substantial influence on how Keystone treats those who buy their product. There are some members who go out of their way to assist others in their dealings with Keystone, unfortunately there are a greater number who appear not willing to stand up and support and champion for all owners.

I ask myself why this is, and can only guess that some folks are more concerned with their own problems and their resolution than that of the many Montana owners as a whole. I make this evaluation based on the results some have achieved when they attend a national rally where in most cases their problems are dealt with, not always to their complete satisfaction but overall they are satisfied with the results. Are those who attend these rallies reluctant to champion and pressure Keystone to be more responsive to “all” owners because they are afraid it might diminish their own efforts to receive satisfaction or just because they don’t think or care about the big picture.

Sadly I have the feeling that they are more concerned with getting results for themselves than they are for the owners/members as a whole. Of course that is human nature, but this very large group of people are missing an opportunity to speak for those that cannot attend rallies, those who have not been treated as they themselves have been treated simply because they were able to attend a rally and get the attention of someone who can actually do something first hand. More importantly those who attend are missing the opportunity to pressure Keystone to improve their customer relations and honor their commitment to the many other owners.

I sincerely ask all members, can this membership not use it’s considerable weight to pressure Keystone to honor their warranties to all owners, can we not use our membership to assist others who are not receiving fair and equitable treatment in their dealings with Keystone and dealers. Or are we really not willing/able to be of any value in that effort. Are we just unpaid salespersons for Keystone.

I would like to think we are more than salespersons and can and should do all we can for the betterment of all Montana owners. Thanks for listening.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote