View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 04:09 AM   #46
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I struggled with this question for a while before eventually installing my switch on the positive side. I think the real problem is that away back in history, before electricity was fully understood, the "convention" that electricity flows from positive to negative became established. It is now known that electron flow is actually negative to positive (electrons carry a negative charge, and it is electon movement that creates current). If it were not for the fact that the positive to negative convention is so well established, it would probably make more sense to have the positive terminal grounded and use the negative as the supply, (Some farm tractors and european cars are wired that way). If that were done, then it would make perfect sense to put the kill switch on the negative lead, but as it is, I think the positive lead is the way to go, for reasons mentioned in earlier posts.
(P.S. I am not advocating that anyone actually make that change, it is just that if we could go back 100 years or so and start from scratch, that would be the more logical way to do it.)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote