View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #18
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We have something very similar to the Swagman xc2 that we bought at Academy. Really like the ease of loading and the solid lock down which is also very quick and easy.

One other mounting option is to put it on the rear of your truck with a drop down hitch so that the bikes sit lower than the truck bed rails. Your 5th wheel will NOT touch the bikes while it is turning there is plenty of room. I like this option better than having them on the front as you don't get a lot of bugs stuck to them, they are protected from the rain/road hazards, don't have to worry about bumping them into something if you get too close and they aren't out there in front of you which always kinda felt weird to me. Due to the angle of the rear view mirror we can still see the bike seats to assure they are riding ok. But like having them on the front bumper, you can take them with you while unhitched from the 5er which is really nice if say you want to go into a town and ride around.....

But the biggest advantage to having them on the rear bumper is it is the lowest mounting point so you don't have to lift the bikes very high (one reason I would never ever mount them on the 5th wheel hitch).

Other good thing about the Swagman style bike rack is you can use it in any receiver regardless of which mounting spot you prefer (front of truck, rear of truck, 5th wheel hitch or rear of trailer).
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote