Thread: MIFI
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I think that I would first make sure that your setup is truly boosting your performance. In fringe or marginal situations using the signal bars is not really an accurate way to test signal strength. The bars can be misleading.

You should connect to your MiFI and in the software - probably under diagnostics - there will be a field called RSSI (received signal strength indicator)

If your MiFi is a 4g unit you will possibly have 2 or 3 RSSI Values displayed. One each for 4g (or LTE) one for 3g and perhaps one for 1x or CDMA - they all call it something different.

I would look at those values both in your cradle and out of it. And moving your antenna around. Each time you will need to refresh the numbers. Its done a bit differently on each MiFi. If you said which model you had I might be able to help you a bit better.

Anyway - with RSSI a smaller number is better. For 3g -80 or lower is good. For 4g -70 or lower is a good signal.

Why I mention this is if you move your mifi in and out of your cradle and you don't see a change in RSSI then your setup or function of the cradle is not proper. But if you do it and RSSI does drop (lets say from -98 to -88 for example - then I would start moving my antenna around to see if I can get the RSSI lower.

If you are really looking to boost your signals and spend a lot of time in fringe areas like we do - then you might want to consider a direct connect amplifier. It sits inline between the antenna and where I plug into my MiFi and requires power but they make 12v adapters if you don't have an inverter.

I have a wilson Trucker antenna (omni-directional) and a wilson 3g booster and Cellphone Mate 4gLTE booster for use depending on what type of service I can receive. I work full time from my camper so having internet is critical. We were at the North Rim the year after last and using that setup I was still able to conference with the office and connect to our servers. It was slower there then normal but doable.

On Edit: Here is a link to info that will help you determine your specific modem signal strength.

When you get to the page click on the finding RSSI Tab at the top.

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote