View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarwin View Post
I'm thinking of making a couple of telescoping PVC supports for the awnings on our 3931FB. Something similar to this

Right now I use a bungie cord attached to the awning frame. It's fastened to a tie down strap staked to the ground. However I've noticed in high winds (10-15 MPH) the frame still flexes a little and the fabric really moves in the wind. I'm afraid of losing my awning and/or frame. I'd like to know what others do. Right now, if the wind starts up I break it down and retract them. Thanks
I quit watching when the guy said "What may happen is it might rip the awning off the trailer".

I have a shade cloth attached to my awning and tie it down with bungee cords. It's a 2 piece shade cloth and when the wind gets up or when we leave or when we go in for the night we take the shade cloth down and pull the awning in.
There's a reason we do this.

Before we got the 5th wheel we had a 35 ft windjammer. A guy on the forest river forum was selling awning tie down poles. I thought great idea, so instead of buying his I made my own. I took 2 adjustable limb supports and put pvc pipe in them to make them longer. Adjusted to where one side was lower for rain. Tied them down like the guy in the video with ratchet straps. I thought I was walkin in tall cotton. We were in florida and needed the awning out a lot.

I was going to post a pic but I'm working off my phone and it's taking too long. I will admit that the pipe I used wasn't as big as the pipe the guy in the video used.

Anyway it was all clear outside and I went in to heat something for dinner. 15 minutes later a huge storm came out of nowhere and I couldn't even get outside it was raining so hard. It broke one pole and I couldn't get my door open all the way.
I finally got outside and it had ripped the awning on the side against the trailer and at the roller.
I bought some awning tape and "fixed" both places and traded the windjammer in later.

Also there was a real nice motorhome across the road at the same place in Florida. They always left their awning out and tied down. Their awning got ripped complete off the motorhome and was flopped up on top of it.

I'll never leave my awning out unless I'm there and awake.