View Single Post
Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #18
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Welcome! All of the above is the way we see it. Just tell the CG that "the 5th wheel, by itself, is 40 ft long, with slides on both sides." 40 ft seems to be the "break point". MOST CGs can take 40 ft. If they can't, they will tell you, up front. Just always call ahead so there are no "surprises" at sunset when you come rolling in..

Really BIG rigs are much more limited in their selection of CGs. I have a cousin who drives a 40 ft Fleetwood MH, with a golf cart carrier mounted on the back and he also has a "toad". He must take 50+ ft, just by himself, not even counting the "toad".

Towing itself is fine. Turns can be more of a "challenge" because the longer wheel base (RVs wheels to rear wheels of the TV) cause the RV wheels to track somewhat further "inside" the turn than you may be used to. Pay special attention to that and you will be fine. I always try to "overshoot" the "normal" turning point as much as possible before starting the turn, and give myself as much extra room towards the outside of the turn before starting the turn as I reasonably can. Pay attention to any obstacles on the inside of the turn. At street corners, watch out for tall street signs/stop signs as well...don't just look down at where the wheels are tracking.

Safe travels!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote