View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #27
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
You guys are missing the entire point here. The GVWR is irrelevant, it has nothing to do with sag, pulling, hills, older models, wind, spring, stability, and nothing to do with the weight police. We are talking cargo capacity only, that's where the 3/4 tons come up short. I've put this information in here before, but I'll do it again: To find the cargo capacity of your truck, check the sticker on the left rear door or pillar of the drivers side of your truck. The sticker, entitled "Tire and Loading Information," will have a section that says, "The combined weight of cargo and occupants should never exceed ____ pounds." That's all you can carry and stay within GVWR. The sticker on my truck says 4257.

Steve, I'm not a Ford guy, and cannot address the tire issue...Wrenchtraveller has done that in the past. You are right about checking the numbers...but you must include the cargo capacity as a key number. I'd have gotten a 3/4 D/A, but the cargo capacity was not high enough for a 3400.

Phill, I looked at many trucks exactly like yours when I was doing my research. Here are some examples with their cargo capacity:

Chev/GMC 2500HD, D/A, CC, 4x4, SB: 2325, 2300, 2420

With any one of these trucks we would be over GVWR hauling a 3400...when you add the PW, hitch weight, cargo, tools, passengers, extra fuel tanks, etc. I tried talking to a dealer, too, one told me the rear axle rating was actually the cargo rating...after that I figured I'd better do my own research.

Not trying to be contrary here...but the key number is not GVWR, it is cargo capacity. We know the diesel will tow it, but will it handle the weight in the truck and stay within GVWR. I would really be steamed if I went out and bought a $40k truck based on information gleaned from this forum, then got home and later discovered my 3/4 would not be within manufacturer's weight limits.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote