View Single Post
Old 11-09-2022, 07:28 AM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
all 3

I`ve have/had all 3. Started with the fifth Airborne on a shot bed and the typical boat anchor Pullrite slider hitch. It worked very well and improved the ride somewhat. Yes, got tired of the air valve location and just went to HD bought some fittings and a piece of fuel line and moved the fill valve to the rear for easy access for filling.
Changed trucks and camper then bought the trail air and started to use the Andersen Ultimate as I got old and could no longer move the 200 lb hitch when I wanted to use the bed for what the truck was built for it worked very well to, yes it`s ugly as sin and looks like Darth Vader's helmet on the front of your camper, again I moved the air fill valve to the rear on this too, all was good.
Like you wondered why no grease fitting on both, was bored one day so I took the trail air apart to check the pin for wear, there was none the pin just looked like it had been polished on the ends. On both there is a steel pin with 2 brass bushings on ether end of the pin was still very tight in the bushings so no need to replace it. Got to remember it`s not like a connecting rod in your engine that needs a constant oil bath to survive the rotations. The pin just helps holds up some of the pin weight the air bag holds the weight. It does not move all the time it only moves a very minor amount on bumps in the road. I guess over 15 years you might see some wear but still very easy to replace the pin and bushings. And you're not going to have the camper that long anyway.
So anyway, got tired of taking the hitch out with an engine crane. Then what do you do with it, always in the way, risk hurting yourself, storing the crane, storing the hitch then you have to put it back in to go camping then take it out again, worry about high hitching......... done.
So bought this and never looked back. this is what you need and then you can forget all the hassles and have the bed back and all you have to take out is a ball from the bed, yeh, a real back breaker. The air fills from the side. I use and air chuck with a 12 inch extension just to reach over the side of the truck to add air if necessary. I`ve read complaints that it`s harder to hitch up, no it`s not, stop whining. I don`t have any trouble, the wife guides me in when she`s there. Iv`e even read that this hitch is a pain because you have to hook up safety chains. I hook up my safety chains before the goose box crosses the end of the truck bed so no need to crawl in to do it. (sometimes I just wonder). Like I said this thing is just to easy and hassle free which is what I`m looking for at this stage in my life.
Now..... the dog poop issue...........

Picture of the pin and bushings.

Picture of the goose box.
Attached Images

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote