View Single Post
Old 07-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #15
Old Okie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23890
2015 Chevy 2500 Duramax hard low speed steering

Help!

This might not be the right thread, but I'm looking for people who've had problems with late model HD Duramax trucks where at low speeds (parking lot, campground parking, etc.) there is a loss or severe decrease of power steering boost. If you wait on it a few seconds, boost will return, but sometimes you don't have time to wait! This happens mostly when I've turned the steering to near right or particularly left lock and then try to turn the wheel the opposite direction. On one of the Diesel forums, this shows up as a pretty common problem and it seems that changing the steering box fixed most people up.

I've talked to my Chevy dealer's service manager who talked to his power steering mechanic about it and didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about their ability to find the problem. Plus the diagnostic part is $112/hr. They even mentioned the brake booster (yes the power steering pump provides part of the boost to the brakes) might be at fault. Think big money.

I'd really like to find someone here who's had this exact problem, had the problem fixed, and would share how exactly it was fixed. I really don't want to go trough a bunch of expensive trial and error with an expensive shop on this problem!

Thanks!
Old Okie is offline   Reply With Quote