View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
dlleno
Established Member

M.O.C. #22200
Another Andersen question

Hi all,

I'm the analytical type, prone to dig well into details and much research before I buy. Believe it or not I have not found an answer to the below:

According to the following drawing, the link to which Andersen pushed to me over email , the Andersen hitch (3220) structure itself moves the application of weight 5.375 inches to the rear of the gooseneck ball. that is, wherever your gooseneck ball is, the pin weight will be applied 5.375 inches to the rear of it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nbzl01...dimensions.pdf

So -- no matter how you orient the Andersen kingpin adapter (where the funnel is), the fifthwheel's pin weight is going to be applied 5.375" to the rear of the gooseneck. this seems like a simple Engineering Statics question: what am I missing?

the question behind the question is -- why would you want to apply the kingpin weight to a point 5 inches behind your gooseneck? Or are most gooseneck balls mounted forward of the rear axle by more than 5 inches? My 2018 RAM puck system locates the gooseneck ball directly over my rear axle, or maybe 1 inch forward, as near as I can tell, so the way I read this information, the Andersen hitch introduces a 5-inch lever between the Axle and the kingpin on my truck.

Due to the popularity of this hitch I must be missing something. surely all the Andersen hitches out there are not applying kingpin weight behind the axle?
dlleno is offline   Reply With Quote