View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #68
Cyride
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22980
Just wanted to let you know what went through and why we purchased our truck. Like you we plan to retire soon and will be purchasing our 5th wheel. The 5th wheels we are looking at are all 40 plus feet with pin weights ranging from 2600 to 3800 pounds. I researched the topic for several months. Our previous truck was a 1/2 ton extended cab with a 6 1/2 foot box. Everyone told me at those trailer weights I would easily be in the 1 ton dually range! I doubted it until I did all the research. I told my wife I didn’t want a diesel or a dually!!!! Much to both our surprise I ended up ordering a Ford 1 ton diesel dually 4x4 equipped with everything I wanted (8 foot box). I can tell you it is the nicest truck I have ever owned and I do not regret the decision at all! The only other truck I considered ordering was the Dodge Diesel dually but the 32 gallon fuel tank wasn’t going to do it for us. I drove both the Ford and Dodge and liked them equally well. My truck rides very nice down the highway even without pulling anything! I am comforted knowing if while running down the highway with the 5th wheel on and have one of the rear tires blow I will be able to get off the road safely! Not sure how that would end with the SRW 1 ton or worse, the 3/4 ton. Again, I never thought I would enjoy driving a 22 foot long diesel as much as I do now! In my opinion if you can afford the dually (shop around you’ll be surprised how reasonable you can get one for) get a dually!
Cyride is offline   Reply With Quote